My Life is a Cartoon

Maybe my life is not a cartoon, but I do like to draw little cartoons about some of the things going on in my life.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

________________________________________________________

Polk Salad Berries

I was reading about fermenting vegetables and then about canning and one thing let to another.
I remembered my Grandmother had talked of making Polk Salad.

I wanted to see what the plant looked like. It's the same as inkberry, which I have seen growing around. And then I read this.

The United States Declaration of Independence was written in fermented pokeberry juice (hence the common name 'inkberry').

humm... is there no end what you can do with fermented fruits and vegetables ;-)

Quote: It is not all bad, this getting old, ripening. After the fruit has got its growth it should juice up and mellow. God forbid I should live long enough to ferment and rot and fall to the ground in a squash. - Josh Billings

2 Comments:

At 9/09/2008 2:17 am, Blogger Middle-Aged Moi said...

THat IS kinda cool! So...have you ever eaten "Polk" berries?

And really, so many good things come from fruit...fermented or not. :-)

 
At 9/09/2008 9:03 am, Blogger Moggy said...

janet - if I had I probably wouldn't be around now. Even the green leaves are poison unless you boil them and pour off the water about three times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home